March 29, 2019
First of all, before I jump into this post, I want to say that we totally understand that there are tons of incredible photographers out there in the world and you don’t have to be a husband/wife team to accomplish that! We have lots of photographer friends that we completely admire and respect that are not a husband/wife team and absolutely still rock their wedding experience for their couples! However, we happen to be a husband and wife photography team ourselves so this is something we feel qualified to speak on. 😉 And it is a huge part of our experience that we feel really adds value to our couples and gives us something extra special in our business! We feel like this aspect of our specific business adds a lot of benefits to our wedding photography experience and we wanted to share a few of the top perks with you today! There are so many things to consider when choosing a wedding photographer and we hope that this gives you some insight that will be helpful when considering who will be the best fit for your wedding day.
1. You have both a guy and a girl to come alongside you and it’s very helpful to have both perspectives throughout your experience with us. You have KyAnn to talk all things wedding details, help the bride adjust her hair and makeup if she needs a touch up, and chat all about your love story and just how you got to be here! And then Mat is there to get to know the groom, make him feel comfortable, and chat all things typical guy while the groom warms up (in our experience, the grooms are typically a little less excited to be in front of the camera). And in our specific case, Mat is an extrovert and KyAnn is an introvert (although I can push myself to be outgoing for shoots/weddings ;)), which is the perfect balance to work together to make sure all personalities are comfortable around us! We’ve found it just makes both of you feel so comfortable to have both a girl and a guy there to connect and relate with throughout your experience. We’ve also found that even shy grooms tend to warm up 100x faster with Mat around to make them feel comfortable and not be the only guy at your engagement session! 😉
2. We have a built in partner to demonstrate poses! This is so helpful because we can show you exactly what we mean while we are explaining a posing prompt. You can visualize where to put your hands, how to stand, all of that because we’ll be your mirror image right in front of you! And you know that any silly prompts that we have you do, we’ll make sure that WE do them ourselves as well! We’ll look so dumb that you’ll completely forget how silly you might have felt! 😉
3. We have a built in second shooter to all of our packages, and even better than that, we are married after all so we can quickly read each other minds as far as what specific photos need to be captured at what time. It’s like having extra awesome ninjas at your wedding. 😉 Having a second shooter allows you to have different angles captured during key moments (like both of your reactions during your first look and/or the groom’s reaction as the bride walks down the aisle as well as the shot of the bride coming down the aisle in her wedding dress) and it gives you so many extra shots to ensure that you have a full, beautiful gallery and that no special moments are missed! Having a husband and wife photography team at your wedding means that we can communicate across a room to make sure all moments are being captured without having to even take a moment to chat and potentially miss sweet moments while doing so.
(And for beach sessions, it could mean one of us is splashing water up to get the pretty droplets to frame the picture! ;))
4. Being photographed by a husband and wife team can feel a lot like a double date (just with a few extra cameras involved ;))! Having the dynamic of two couples hanging out and capturing photos adds such a fun and more relaxed element to your engagement shoot and wedding day!
5. You have a guy to hang out with the groomsmen while they get ready on the wedding day and a girl to hang out with the bridesmaids! This makes the getting ready time so natural and comfortable that it’s a lot easier for us to blend in and capture candid moments of you with your favorite people while you get ready on the wedding day. It also makes it that much easier to relate to the bridal party. And being able to joke around and have fun with the bridal party always helps us to get extra fun bridal party portraits!
6. A husband and wife team can TOTALLY understand exactly how you are feeling in front of the camera. We have been in front of a camera for professional photos many times, including our engagement session and our wedding day. We remember being in your shoes and can completely relate to all of the feelings that you might have (being nervous, afraid you won’t know how to pose naturally-spoiler alert: you don’t have to worry about this, we got you!, etc.). Which also means that we can go above and beyond to make sure that your experience is as natural and seamless as possible! We remember the insecurities and fears being in front of the camera from both of our perspectives, which really helps us do our best to make both the bride AND the groom feel comfortable and confident while you are working with us!
We hope that this was helpful for you to see! Being a husband and wife team truly is one of our biggest joys in life…we LOVE that we get to pursue our dreams and work together to make them happen! And that is all because of our wonderful clients who trust us with one of the most important days of their lives. We couldn’t be more grateful and in turn, we strive to make every single client’s experience with us the absolute best experience possible! Having two of us fully dedicated to our clients and our wedding experience is a huge piece of our business and one that we are so proud to do every day! If you are looking for a wedding photographer and are interested in having a husband/wife team be a part of your big day, feel free to head here to shoot us a message! Don’t worry, we’re real people and we’ll talk to you just like that…no salesy gimmicks here. 😉 Anddd you can check out behind the scenes from weddings days on our Instagram to see more of how we work, if you’re curious!